I’ve been blogging off and on about various subjects ranging from college football to marketing for about 4 years now. I’ve tried many of the blogging services and recently decided to switch to WordPress. Most of my efforts have been very experimental, but nonetheless useful to me in many ways. I’ve asked others if they’ve considered blogging and if not, why not? Replies include “blogging is too much work” people tell me they’re afraid that people won’t like what they have to say or how they say it. This got me thinking why I blog, and why I think anyone can benefit from blogging.
So why do I blog?
- Blogging gets me to reflect on my experiences.
- Blogging forces a deeper examination of my world and uncovers truths and opportunities otherwise lost in the firehouse that is my life (SERENITY now!!!).
- Blogging fosters learning, not only from your introspection, but also from other blogs you’ll start following and visitors who leave comments.
- Blogging is historical. I get to keep a record of my life and thoughts allowing for future reflection down the road. After all history tends to reapeat itself, I might as well keep track of it!
- Blogging is FREE! and the returns are extremely high. Having tried many online marketing campaign and seeing how expensive they can be, the return from a blog is astronomically high.
Why should you blog?
- Blogging gets you into the conversation.
- Blogging opens your mind to possibilities you hadn’t considered before.
- Blogging is a great marketing tool. Blogging builds the brand that is “You.”
- Blogging improves your communication skills. Even if you aren’t great at first, you’ll gradually get better and increase your brand with a little practice.
- Blogging connects you with others. Others can help you in your journey.
There are many virtues of blogging. The fact that blogging is a free marketing tool and can help you be more strategic in your apporach to issues in your life should be enough to at least get you interested in blogging. Maybe you blog already or maybe you blog in another medium. Either way I encourage you to blog. Don’t do it just because everyone is doing it, but because it’s a way to improve your understanding of the world and the brand that is “You.”